Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Part 1 of 4: Beginnings of My Forest Garden


I have made allusions to the idea that I have a forest garden going and I posted my research paper that first motivated me to start forest gardening; yet, I have never actually described my garden. Here is my attempt to explain what I have going on, where my knowledge is currently, and some directions I want to head in. I split this into four parts. Part one is the first year I tried to implement some forest garden concepts. Part two is the second year where my efforts looked more like forest gardening with the planting of trees and plants that would serve as my backbone of sorts. Part three is my current year of tending my forest garden and the insights I have gained. Finally, in part 4 I listed my goals for this year and posted some pictures of my current garden.  



Two years ago in spring of 2010, I took over the management of an L-shaped garden space. This space was previously organically cultivated with typical row vegetables like corn, peppers, tomatoes, squash, etc. A few months prior to this time I had written my research paper on forest gardening so I was very excited to put into practice what I had learned… which as it turned out barely scratched the surface :).

                                                                                               

I cleared out a section of weeds and proceeded to seed in a 10’x10’ section of corn, sunflowers, beans, and squash. I was trying to grow the traditional three sister’s crop, corn, beans, and squash that I wrote about in my paper. I was also growing the sunflowers for their added shade and to experiment with a rapid, mini-upper story. Those plants were very brave… For the rest of the growing season they only received supplemental watering once a week and they had weeds knocking on their doorstep as constant companions. I was admonished to pull the weeds, but my newbie research led me to believe that all weeds were good, that they had just as much right to live as any cultivated plant, that they would help rather than harm, etc. I now realize that not all weeds are good, that it is ok to direct their growth habits, that they provide excellent mulch, and many other things about weeds; but I also admit that I have a lot of learning in this area.  As for the water thing, I was convinced that plants could live without supplemental watering… Little did I know that this is only true if I put time and effort into sculpting the land to hold the water. Ooops.



Well, by the time fall came I had a garden full of weeds, none of my plants could produce anything beyond some attempts at upward growth because they were so dehydrated, and my first attempt to forest garden was an utter flop. When the leaves began to drop from the trees and all the weeds died back I attempted to put down a kill mulch of several layers of newspaper; needless to say the wind had other ideas so it was a mulch that never was. I did, however, make my first real attempts to nurture some perennials. During the summer a strange tree started growing off to the side of my garden space. I was told to cut it down because it was one of “those pesky trees” that lived in a grove behind our house. I liked it and those trees as well. I said I was keeping it. I carefully wrapped its trunk in newspaper to officially mark it as my tree. I said it would be the upper story in my garden because it would reach 50’ or so if it were one from the grove behind our house. It did not occur to me until later that the upper story did not have reside in my small garden space. Just prior to the leaf drop I also rescued some baby trees from a grove of walnuts and peaches that was cultivated on an adjacent spot to my garden. I transplanted a walnut and two mystery trees. I also wrapped around their trunks at the base. With that I put my feeble attempt of a forest garden to bed for the winter. I am not a master gardener so I did not mulch or “cleanup” my space of dead debris. In part two I will discuss my 2011 planting year.

No comments:

Post a Comment