Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Dreams that Persist


Dreams (sleep time dreams not goals) come and go. Some people remember many dreams while others believe they do not dream at all. Exactly what dreams are has amused and confused people since the dawn of man. Personally I believe my dreams are insights into my subconscious or cues to clue me into mannerisms or thoughts that I posses that I am quite unaware of; in other words they help me be more aware of me. I am not suggesting that I am a neo-Freudian of sorts and I believe all dreams portend latent sexual fantasies; but I do believe that dreams are the windows to the rather unknown realm of  the subconscious. In this vein of thought then, I believe all my dreams have meaning thus I try to analyze what they might be telling me (the ones I remember that is). Many of my remembered dreams fade after I have addressed their underlying message or sufficient time has passed. However, some dreams have lasted quite a long time even after I addressed what I thought were their underlying messages. Tonight I feel compelled to discuss four such dreams that I starkly remember as if I had them last night.

Dream One: Battle Field Church Hospital

I was walking through a field of tall grasses and perhaps some wildflowers. I was walking in the direction of a large tree but my destination was just beyond the tree. When I passed the tree the air became quiet and still. My destination had arrived: a big Mission Style church. When I walked in I heard cries of anguish and pain: there were many wounded people from a battle that was going on. I proceeded to the front desk and told the woman that I came to help. Like the stereotypical librarian she looked over her glasses and down her nose at me and snorted, “You cannot help. You are too small and weak. Now go!” “I will not go,” I said, “I came here to help!” “I told you to go, you cannot help!” I decided it was pointless to argue with this woman when there were so many people that obviously needed my help. I pushed my way passed her and entered into the infirmary. At that moment the cries stopped and peace, hope, and love filled the room.

Dream Two: Log Car

I was driving along a road in a log car (sort of like a Flinstone car). In the passenger seat was a large, male angel (sort of like the angles described in Kryon’s parable of Michael Thomas). The angel told me to turn left off of the road and into a field. At first I balked but I did it. The drive was not rough and bumpy like I would have expected and he instructed me to stop trying to drive and let the car do it. The angel and I engaged in a wonderful, lively conversation. Suddenly, I noticed that we were heading toward a large tree that was looming closer and closer. I made moves to grab the steering wheel but did not. I felt nervous and tried to point out our impending collision but the angel kept talking as if there were no problem. Finally I could not take the suspense and felt I had to do something to avert disaster. I grabbed the steering wheel and turned hard; I hit the tree. My actions only served to cement the disaster whereas if I had trusted then the car would have easily maneuvered at just the right time. In fact, perhaps my actions overcorrected the car’s turn in the opposite direction so rather than missing the tree my actions hit the tree because it would have naturally moved in a different direction.

Dream Three: Political Campaign

I was standing on an outdoor stage behind a podium. Sharing the stage with me was another person behind a podium. We were engaged in a debate; we were running for the same political office. The debate was heated but professional. At one point, but I am not sure exactly what caused it, I became incredibly fed up. Momentairly my attention wandered while my opponent was speaking. I became hyper aware of the nature around me (the breeze, the bird calls, the warm sun on my skin, etc.). I was brought back from my reverie by hearing my name called and I was asked how I would respond. I looked at my opponent, looked out at the standing crowd, and then I looked down at myself. With a humph I pounded my fist on the podium and then kicked off my high heel shoes. I walked around the podium while undoing my fashion tie, untucking my shirt, and letting my hair down. While I did all that I was engaged in a diatribe about the idiocy of all this pretention and how I wanted no part of it. Then I grabbed the microphone and sat on the edge of the stage.  Once I sat down I said, “I want no part of this pretention; I am who I am accept me or leave me but I am tired of performing for you.” My opponent and the campaign teams balked and my opponent took it as an opportunity to make an impassioned plea to the people about how could they accept someone who was unpolished and a charlatan. I may not have been on a pedestal but I was the on the same ground as the average person. I do not know how they decided but I did feel that my actions stymied or ended my political career. I believe I was surprised that rather than ending it gave me a boost. Perhaps the people craved authenticity.

Amphitheater Teacher

I was in an outdoor amphitheater on stage. I wore a burnt orange tee-shirt and I was very pregnant. The temperature was comfortable; I think it was late summer.  I was giving a lecture on something; not sure what is was but I feel it was important to the future wellbeing of the planet (perhaps something like permaculture or something like that) and changes that we humans had to make to live more in harmony. I also get the impression that this amphitheater was on the campus I created; a center where people could gather to learn earth and sprit wisdom.   

These are my four memorable and persistant dreams.


2 comments:

  1. I don't know if it's simply because others' dreams might appear clearer than one's own, but I read these and envy their clarity: that is, if I had such dreams, it seems that I would have an easier time figuring out what they were telling me than I do trying to find out what my dreams are saying. I have several recurring dreams, or themes and places in my dreams, and I've been puzzling over them. A couple years ago I read Robert A. Johnson's _Inner Work_ and started keeping a journal dedicated to analyzing my dreams, with the intent of starting a practice of Active Imagination. Sadly I have slacked off on that, but maybe I'll revive it; I hope I will. Thanks for having the courage to share these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi CStanford. Once again, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner; I am not used to looking for responses. The subconscious is a tricky, elusive, scared little creature who peeks out and quickly scuttles away. I have noticed that mine does not like obvious scrutiny; I have to let whatever emerge when it is ready to be known and I am ready to listen. I have tried to interpret these dreams, but have not met much success in that endeavor. Good luck with your dream diary; I am sure it will happen when you are ready.

    ReplyDelete