Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Vehicle for Love

While cogitating on how society would react if love were empirically proven to a constitute pure chemical phenomenon, I realized an important link between spirituality and science in regard to love. I wrote this response many times in my attempt to show this bridge using several personal life events that I felt showed this connection.  While I saw the connection, I was unable elucidate what I saw; in other words nothing would come out right. Then I realized I was trying to make it more complicated than it needed to be. I remembered two events with dogs that were counter to normal love bonds, and therefore provided me the basis for concluding that the key toward understanding love, lies in examining those things that should defy the logic of love. I realized that just because I understand the vehicle love takes in my body, it does not mean that love does not exist and, in fact, since I was created, my creator imbued me with this chemical process to allow me to manifest what my spirit felt.  

Before I relate my idea of this connection, I wish to relate two stories that showed how love occurs against the logical odds. When I was 24, my skeleton closet of un-dealt with emotions exploded and manifested as a month-long headache that preempted the loss of my sight; a condition that was not resolved for another two months. There was no medical cause for this problem and I later concluded that it was psychosomatic, meaning that my psychological state of health caused me to manifest this problem in my body (Myers, 2010) as perhaps some form of defense mechanism. During this time, a little dog, part chihuahua and part dachshund, entered into my life. I am not a fan of dogs and find them rather unappealing. In addition, I am very allergic to animals, so I try to avoid them. For some reason, I did not avoid this dog and felt a strange attraction to her; I loved, held, played, and spent time with her despite my protesting allergies, which by the way, were not as bad as usual. It soon became apparent, that this dog and I were meant for each other. She was with me while I endured test after test to find the source of my problem. I would bury my face in her fur and cry my frustrations; she just laid there as my support, my pillow. Then she died. I was heart-broken. Suddenly my anxiety grew and with that my asthma flared up. Within a week of her death, I had such a serious attack that I went to the emergency room. Once there, I received the standard nebulizer (atomized bronchodilator medicine breathed in) treatment; this time it was different, though, and a steroid that I have been given in the past in pill form was added in liquid form to the nebulizer medicine cup. Within an hour of the treatment, I suspected that my sight was improving; by the next morning, there was a definite improvement.

A little dog came into my life when I suddenly released a torrent of emotional skeletons that resulted in a psychosomatic reaction from my body. She stayed with me during the extensive tests and allowed me to find release. She left me and this caused me such tremendous pain that I was no longer able to deal with the stress of my condition and I had an asthma attack which sent me to the emergency room where I received a treatment that restored my eyesight; a treatment I would never have received otherwise. Why did I love this dog despite my allergies and dislike for dogs? How was she able to comfort me when nothing else could? And how did she bypass my innate dislike and spark my love?

A few months later, I had another encounter with a dog and again it sparked love whereas I have never since felt liking for a dog. We discovered a mother dog, a large German Sheppard like dog, and her litter of 10 large pups under a shed on my neighbor’s property. My neighbor had caged the mother dog, called animal control, and was attempting to withdraw the pups; however, the pups were nearly inaccessible. My neighbor remarked that the mother dog was ugly and mean because she growled and nipped at her hand. When I went to see her, I thought she was the most beautiful dog I had ever seen; there was something in her eyes and the way she looked at me that caused an instant attraction to the dog. I could hear the pups yipping for her return, but since she was trapped, she was highly agitated. I approached her cautiously because of her agitation and my neighbor’s report about the dog’s meanness; however, there was no need for my caution because she readily accepted me. I asked her for her permission to get her pups to which she seemed to acquiesce and used her nose to point the way. I am normally concerned about dirt, bugs, spiders, and webs, but for some reason I did not even notice any of that in my attempt to free the pups. What drove this? Why did I not react to the things I would normally react in disgust to? Why did I find myself attracted to another dog when I did not like dogs? Why did I think she was beautiful when she was obviously a mutt and by most people’s standards ugly?

I am a student of psychology and whole heartedly agree with the scientific understanding of chemical process of feeling love. Hormones are part of all signals (Garrett, 2011) sent through our bodies from the physical perceptions of pain, hunger, thirst, satiety, and tiredness to the emotional perceptions of comfort, security, fear, anger, and love. In addition, hormones regulate all physical functions in the body such as digestion, healing, and sleep. Without hormones our body would not function (2011). Hormones do not act alone, however; they are chemical messengers (2011) signaled by the brain and act with neurons to help communicate a message. Science’s understanding of neurotransmitters, neurotransmission, hormone communication, and brain patterns is still in a state of infancy; the human brain is highly complicated and not easy to study (2011). I believe this is why science cannot recognize (Sharpe & Bryant, 2005) the validity of religion and vise versa.

My view on this complicated biological signaling is that it is merely a vehicle; a signal going from one spot to another is like a traveling vehicle. It is part of being human and part of what makes the brain and body so complex and so simply beautiful. Unlike many people, I do not take this understanding of chemical transmission as detracting from the spiritual nature of love (Sharpe & Bryant, 2005) or any emotion or biological process; in fact, I think it strengthens the justifications of the presence of a creator or a spiritual experience. I believe that just because the vehicle has been discovered (2005) it does not detract in any way from the spiritual experience of love. If humans could be reduced to simple on/off firing of chemicals to explain everyday experience, then how is it that some things spark the signal while others do not? Look at my experiences with the two dogs. I do not like dogs; I am allergic to them and find them generally objectionable. In addition, I am afraid of spiders and bugs and aversive to dirt and webs. And yet, I found a dog that I loved and who comforted me in a difficult time in my life and I found a dog beautiful and spent my effort to save her pups despite the obvious filth I crawled through. I think that for me to transcend my strong emotions against these situations, that something else must have sparked my chemical process that caused me to feel love.

I do not believe that science’s finding of the chemical vehicle should offend those who believe love is a spiritual event. To think it offensive is similar to taking offence to the idea that a car runs on gasoline. So what if the vehicle for love has been found? I think this could strengthen people’s faith if they get over the mystical idea that things just happen or that the methods of God are unexplainable and realize that there is an explanation for everything. Just because a method of God has been explained does not mean the thing does not exist. Love is not any less just because its chemical vehicle was found; there is still something needed to spark that love because love does not just happen. If I were to ask a question that would be it. What is it that sparks the chemical reaction that causes one to feel love? Why is it in some cases people feel love when other times they do not?

Resources

Garrett, B. (2011). Brain and Behavior: An Introduction to Biological Psychology (3rd ed.). Los Angeles: Sage.

Myers, D.G. (2010). Exploring psychology in modules (8th ed.). New York: Worth Publishing.  

Sharpe, K. J., & Bryant, R. I. (2005). Has science displaced the soul? Debating love and happiness. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment