Friday, December 25, 2009

Dogma is Subservient

Recently I was asked to define my beliefs and if my beliefs ever changed. I decided that I hold two beliefs to be infallible: "If I am not growing, then I am dying" and "I am a child of God." These beliefs are simple and un-muddled by dogma; they are the highest and most governing factors in all decisions. All other beliefs are secondary and subservient because they are limited by my current understanding and error-prone perception. An example of secondary beliefs would be any belief that tells me how to act in regard to my primary beliefs. These beliefs are dogma. Dogma is fine and has a place: to define our intra- and interpersonal interactions. Secondary beliefs can never be infallible because I am always growing; my perceptions are always changing with the influx of new information, and are, therefore, subject to re-evaluation. I view any changes in secondary belief to be enlightening, welcome, and invigorating paradigm shifts that open me further to the world of possibilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment